Pikelets are one of my most favourite ways to start the day! I remember when I was really young every Saturday morning before our soccer games Mum would make the most delicious buttery pikelets. I still remember the aroma filling the house in the mornings.
I’d top those little babies with heaps of melted butter, honey and even peanut butter.
Now that I’m a little older I’ve developed a taste for healthier food, and realised you can’t eat like that every day! So to ensure that we can all still enjoy delicious pikelets for breakfast, I’ve created a healthier (And dare I say tastier) recipe.
This particular recipe is far healthier as they are made with fresh banana and antioxidant rich blueberries. The result. Amazing sweet flavours, without the guilt.
I call this recipe ‘blubes and nana pikelets’ and they’re refined sugar free and dairy free, woo hoo! This recipe could be paleo if you sub the flour for an extra egg or with coconut flour and they can be gluten free with GF flour or GF oats. The choice is absolutely yours.
Healthy Blubes and Nana Pikelets (Refined sugar and dairy free)
- 2 medium bananas, melted and mashed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (GF oats or coconut flour for a gluten free version)
- ½ cup Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk
- 4 tbsp. SweetMe (granulated Stevia)
- 1 egg (flax egg for vegan version)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. vanilla essence
- Extra Virgin coconut oil
- Microwave bananas for 90 seconds and then mash them
- Beat eggs, SweetMe and banana with handheld blender until fluffy
- Add milk and flour and beat again until everything is combined
- Preheat pan on low-medium heat with coconut oil
- Spoon 2 tbsp. of mixture onto heated pan and cook until bubbles appear on top of the pikelets
- repeat until your batter is finished and then serve with extra SweetMe sprinkles!